CITY OF OLNEY
The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is accepting applications for an eligibility list for the position of Firefighter. Applicants must be not less than 19 years of age nor more than 34 years of age, unless a statutory exception applies. Applicants must successfully complete the following: physical ability test, written exam, oral interview, and background investigation. Applicants must also satisfy all other statutory requirements.
All benefits are established by the collective bargaining agreement. Current annual starting base salary is $42,727 and increases to $46,644 after Firefighter II Certification with cost of living increases each year. On 24 off 48 schedule. Benefits include six 24-hour holidays, vacation, sick days, health and life insurance, and fire pension.
All full time firefighters are required as a condition of their employment with the City to have their place of abode within the City of Olney or within a four (4) mile radius of the Olney Fire Station for the life of their employment with the City. However, if an employee lives outside the corporate limits, certain requirements apply.
Applications may be obtained at City Hall, 300 S. Whittle Ave., Olney, IL 62450 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Last date for submitting applications is March 8, 2017. Testing is scheduled for Saturday, March 11, 2017, at 8 a.m.
Instructions for Firefighter Applicant - Notice of Testing Date
1. Review Firefighter - City of Olney informational sheet regarding the creation of an eligibility list which is used when new firefighters are hired for the Fire Department. Once the eligibility list is created by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners, it will be in effect for two years.
2. Review Firefighter Testing Information sheet for the testing scheduled on Saturday, March 11, 2017.
3. Review Firefighter Physical Ability Test Fact Sheet for information about the physical ability test.
4. Complete Application for Employment. Sign and Date on Page 9.
5. Return Application for Employment to City Hall by March 8, 2017. Failure to return application by the deadline will disqualify you from participating in the testing.
6. Testing is scheduled as follows:
Testing Date: Saturday, March 11, 2017
Testing Time: 8:00 a.m.
Location for Testing: Olney Fire Department
501 N. Walnut St., Olney, IL
If you have any questions in reference to the firefighter testing, please contact Cindy Harlan at (618) 395-7302, ext. 7. Thank you.